Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Weak but Strong

What's happening to me? It hasn't been like this before. Ache within me won't you please go away? Please? I know that I am an Obanje child and that I have suffered from many illnesses but this one feels different. I'm going to die aren't I? Ekwefi says it's so, it must be so. But why? Why do I need to die? Maybe I was meant to be born a boy. Father would have loved me more. But Ezinma you are his favourite, you are. Don't forget it. I won't forget it. Ekwefi she's so beautiful, how I wish I could grow up to be like her and now I may never get to. Please don't take me Chukwu. I'm not ready to leave...for all this to end...to lose my family...to lose my life. Ezinma you have to fight this. It may be impossible but you've got to try. You can. I will. Father's words play over and over in my head. He feels that I have the soul of a boy but that I am trapped in the body of a girl. Hearing him talk about me this way, it kills me. It breaks my little heart into a million different pieces. No matter how hard I try to put them back together, I can't. It's like I've lost myself. But I am not ready to go. To leave this life and go off into the unknown. So maybe this is a moment of weakness but I am also strong. I will not give up. I cannot give up. Though I am not what my father wants me to be...Ekwefi and I...our relationship, it's so special. I need my life...and I need my mom.

3 comments:

  1. Hi BFF!
    I really love this solilique, it really shows the bond that Ezinma has with her mother, and the many stuggles she has with herself. It seems as if she can be compared to a typical troubled tennager. Often overlooked and forgotten, or is always asked more of.

    Your acting was also very good. I felt all of the characters emotions flow out when you performed.

    Awesome job Clo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your preformance was really powerful. You used your strong voice to an advantage which I thought stood out. Nice job with dealing with the inner emotions of Ezinma that I dont think anyone would know about. I also wrote a monologue about Ezinma so it's cool to see the difference of each of ours. All together awesome job Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloaaay! :)
    I just want to say that your performance was really well done! Being that I was the one who practiced with you, I should be expecting what was coming at me but honestly, I've never seen you incorporate so much emotion in your voice before! You were really able to capture my full attention. I felt so sad that I almost cried, and honestly at one point, I felt like I had a personal connection to your performance. The cousins that I have who live in Richmond are all boys. So as you see, growing up I was surrounded by boys; I'm the only girl. I sometimes feel like I'm bringing them down being that I'm a girl and I'm not willing to do certain things. Sometimes I felt like it might just be easier if I was actually just "one of the guys". I try to be but obviously, I am who I am, and who I am can tend to be a bit of a girly-girl which sometimes doesn't really fit in with the guys. But the difference is that my dad doesn't wish I was a boy, he likes me the way I am. So even though my situation is different than Ezinma's, I feel like I can still relate to how shes feeling. Anyways, great job Chloe! :D

    ReplyDelete