Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Forever In My Heart

Dear Papa,
Thank you for helping me so much throughout my life and for all the good memories you've helped me to make. I remember so many of our amazing and heartwarming experiences from when I was a little girl. Walking on Crescent beach every weekend with you is one that I remember vividly. You would always buy me a cotton-candy ice-cream cone, even though mom would say no. When we got back to your house, Grammy would give me gingersnap cookies. Thinking about it, I can taste the sweet ginger that exploded with every bite. I loved that house so much. The back garden was a fantasy land. Running around each bend of the wooden wall between the grass with the little stepping stones and the patio, always made me feel a sense of freedom. The smell of the red and pink roses was unbelievable and their beauty, magnificent. The smell of your house made me feel at home even though I wasn't. A mixture of smoke and gingersnap cookies. Grammy was always making them. You had a little chair of stuffed animals at the corner of your staircase. When you moved into George Derby Centre, I got to have the little bunny. She smells just like your house did. Whenever I breathe in the familiar scent I am reminded of those times when I was younger. I want you to know that I still have her today and I named her Cottontail. Papa I've always admired you. You fought for our country in World War II. You were captured by the German army, but you escaped. You had the courage to fight and risk your life for all of us today. Without you the world wouldn't be what it is now. Over the years you opened my eyes so much to trying new things, and seeing different sides of a story. You taught me right from wrong and sometimes disciplined me, but you were always kind. Papa though you aren't here anymore, I want you to know that I love you so much. I miss you more and more every day. Sometimes I regret not spending enough time with you as I got older. Sometimes I wish that you could see me now and see me grow up. But I have hope that you can, and that you are watching over me and the family. I will never forget our wonderful memories and I will never forget you. I don't know if there is something out there after death but I have hope that there is. I truly appreciate everything that you did for me while you were here. You as well as Grammy were both extremely important to me, and will forever be in my heart. I hope that you are together wherever you are, and I wish you a happy Valentine's day. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Chloe (I wish I could insert umlauts, but I can't), this valentine really touched me. I lost both my grandparents last year and I really miss them, as you do yours. They say that smell is the sense most closely tied with memory, which you illustrate quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete