Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Intense Complications of Love

The novel I am reading is Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. The protagonist of the novel is a young orphan boy named Heathcliff. He is brought to Wuthering Heights by Mr. Earnshaw, where he falls in love with Catherine, Mr. Earnshaw's daughter. Her family is very wealthy and since Heathcliff is not, their love is forbidden. He knows that really he cannot be with her but yet he cannot stay away from her either. I think that Heathcliff is someone who is hard to understand. He has to face so much struggle within the family that takes him in. Cathy's brother Hindley despises Heathcliff, but really I think he's jealous of him. Cathy and Heathcliff are so fond of each other, always leaving her brother behind and alone. Heathcliff faces conflict when Cathy's father dies. Hindley becomes the new leader of the house and therefore Heathcliff is left in the rubble. He is thought of as lesser and treated that way as well. He's thought of as dirty and wicked, but he isn't. He's conflicted because he could leave Wuthering Heights but his love for Cathy is so strong that he can't. No matter knowing if she really loves him or not, he believes that she does, and he can't leave her.

I believe that I can relate to Heathcliff. I struggle of letting go of things in my life, just as he does with Cathy. No matter how little chance of him ever being able to be with her, he holds on still. I too hold on even when the smarter or better choice may be to let go. Even if holding on means having to face hardships that could potentially tear me apart.

3 comments:

  1. Chloe, this story sounds so heart-breaking! What you've written makes me feel like I can relate to this story in the same way you do. I too, have issues letting things go in my life, particularly the past. Even though I know its better for me to let it all go, we all know its much easier said than done. Other times, I think like Heathcliff, its not that I have trouble letting go, its more like I don't want to let go. When I read your paragraph, the love between Heathcliff and Cathy really reminds me of the love between Romeo and Juliet; I have a real soft-spot for stories that involve forbidden love...so this sounds like a story I would really enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chloe,

    I think you're absolutely right about Heathcliff having trouble letting go. I think we all face challenged when we try to let go of something or when something in our life turns in an unwanted direction. I often have trouble coping with change simply because it's different from something I know. Therefore, I wonder if another reason Heathcliff doesn't leave Wuthering Heights is because he is also afraid because he doesn't know the world outside his adopted home? Is it because he's afraid of the unknown?

    Nevertheless, these realistic qualities that Heathcliff possesses make him differ from other protagonists who don't have obstacles or are too fantasized to be able to realistically relate to. Anyway, I feel I can relate well to Heathcliff because I also have trouble letting go. I can't wait to see how this story turns out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think it's just Heathcliff who can't let go? Chloe, let me know your answer when you get further along in the novel. Michelle, you made a good point about Heathcliff not leaving Wuthering Heights, even though it's obvious he's no longer wanted. I wonder why he was brought to WH in the first place? And why the mother and brother take such an instant dislike of him.

    ReplyDelete